Monday, November 29, 2010

"12 Days of Christmas" Blog Challenge -- Day 7: Holiday Craft/DIY

So, I have absolutely ZERO abilities when it comes to crafts and do-it-yourself projects.  I mean, seriously, I have to ask Patrick how to hang Christmas lights on my deck, for crying out loud!  Ridiculous!  Therefore, I can assure you that I have no Craft projects going on right now, although I did "borrow" Aly's idea that she mentioned here, and I must say it looks fabulous on my mantle.  Anyway, back to the topic at hand...since I am not a DIY-er, I started thinking about what I do around the holidays that I would consider my specialty.  The only thing I could come up with was baking...and not just any baking, but I make a Red Velvet Cake.  It is one of my favorite desserts and this time of year is the perfect time to make it because of the colors.  So, without further ado, here is the recipe:

Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa
3/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1-ounce bottle red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar

Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa in bowl.  Cream oil and 1 1/2 cups sugar.  Add eggs one at a time; beat well after each.  Add food coloring; mix until well blended.  Combine buttermild and soda.  Mix well; add to oil-sugar mixture alternately with dry ingredients.  Add vinegar and vanilla.  Mix well.  Spoon into 2 greased 9-inch round pans.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  Combine milk and remaining sugar in saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Spoon evenly on each layer.  Cool and frost.

Frosting

1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound confectioners' sugar

Combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla in mixing bowl.  Beat until smooth.  Gradually add sugar while beating.  Mix well.  Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake. 

So, there you have it...my only DIY project!

No comments: